Friday, 11 May 2012

6 weeks post-op

Well I'm definitely back to normal life these days.  Busy with family, friends and work of course. Can't believe its already 6 weeks since my surgery. 
I saw my OD again today and hooray I got my braces adjusted so my teeth are officailly on the move again. Surgical hooks are stil in place as he still needs them for my elastics.  He is happy with where things are at.  No we just need to close then gaps at the upper midline and the left lower extraction gar that remains.
Sensation to my left chin is slowly returning, I have feeling everywhere in the area its just not quite all the way there yet.  I have had two acupuncture treatments done and I think they have really helped.  For those considering it I would say its definately wirth trying and even if it doesn't work it shouldn't have any negative effects.  I noticed more tingling during the treatments and in the day or two after as well. 
Bite is still a work in progress as the teeth in my upper arch still need to be moved into their final position.  Same elastic configuration from bottom left to upper right working on shifting the lower midline left.  It sure is hard to wear it 24/7 especially talking to elderly patients at work.  Sometimes they just must come out to do what I need to do.
I am able to floss again too.

All in all I am quite happy with my results so far.  I'm glad I decided against the genioplasty even though my chin is still "weak", I feel like I still look like me.  My profile could be better but I'm pleased with the front view and my profile is better than it was for sure.  I really debated long and hard about the genio preop and decided it was better to not have the genio instead of potentially regretting it as it was a procedure that could always be done separately after if I wanted...not that I would likely go through an additional surgey anyways.

Oh and I ate STEAK this weekend.  Look out food world I'm officially back to (almost) normal, I'm still avoiding the usual no-no braces foods.

Back to the surgeon on Monday for my next follow up.  Not much else new to report for now.

Swelling is gone!  Hooray!!!
Smile pre-adjustment

 Smile post-adjustment... yippee for powerchains

 Upper arch...ready for the gap to close

Lower arch

Have a great weekend everyone :D

8 comments:

  1. Chandra, you look great! It's exciting that you are back to "active" braces. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ellie! It's nice to have my teeth on the move again :)

      Delete
  2. You really do look fantastic. I think you made the right choice about not doing genio. You still "look like you" and your chin really doesn't come off as weak. It's amazing to see the gap already closing after your adjustment. And how about that crazy diagonal rubber band!! Yay for being in the final leg of treatment!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amanda! I'm happy that I didn't have the genio. I'll certainly be glad when my gap is gone for good....yippee!

      Delete
  3. Ellie and Amanda are right, you look really great! I can't wait to see the final outcome when moving your teeth is finished, it is going to be awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful! I hope you're feeling great.

    Totally jealous of the steak though... I'm still struggling with hamburger. Really learning patience in this process.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nichole! Don't worry you'll get there too...hope you're doing well :)

      Delete