I had my latest follow up with my surgeon last week. He was quite happy with how things are lining up. I told him that chewing is going great but that biting is still a bit difficult. He thought this was likely due to weakness and that my teeth still need to mesh better when they are moved with the braces.
He checked my range of motion and gave me some stretches to do, lateral movement and pulling the lower jaw open, I can get about 2.5 finger widths right now but he'd like me to be able to get 3 fingers. He also gave me a couple of isometric strengthening exercises too.
He was pleased with my sensory return, still a tiny bit of numbness and often a itchy feeling in the small numb patch which is a good sign!
I'm finding that my TMJs are more sore the last while a cracking quite a often with end range movements and yawning. I'm hoping it's just stiffness and only temporary as it was not like this preoperatively I think it's probably related to stiffness and muscle tension/imbalance.
I go back to the surgeon in 3 months and the orthodontist in early June :)
Not much else to report for now...
I just have to say you look amazing, especially for 6 weeks post op. I am having the same operation in august hopefully, and I was wondering if you wore a splint? You seemed to move on to chewing so quickly, and your swelling went down so fast!
ReplyDeleteThanks! I'm feeling pretty good for the most part. Luckily I did not need to wear a splint I think they mainly do that with double jaw surgery. Good luck with your surgery, August will be here before you know it...
DeleteI just got my insurance approval,so August is set. I am going to ask my surgeon about the splint, he has it listed, on my form. I would love to avoid it. It seemed like your bite set well with just rubber bands. How many millimeters were you advanced? Maybe that matters too.
ReplyDelete