Wednesday, 30 March 2011

The adventure begins...

March 28, 2011:  Today is the first day of my adventures in braces and blogging :)

A bit about myself: I am a 29 year old mom from Canada who has always wished I had a fabulous smile. Like many others my family could not afford orthodontic treatment when I was younger. I have decided to finally take the plunge and invest in my teeth and my self-esteem. My teeth are very severely crowded and will keep my orthodontist busy for awhile... I also have a class II malocclusion with recessed chin and weak profile.

I initially saw my orthodontist a couple years ago but chickened out emotionally and financially. I decided to go for it now that I have better insurance and booked again in Nov/10. I was daunted when he discussed my options which involved extractions and orthognathic jaw surgery as well. After seeing the maxillofacial surgeon in Feb/11 he recommended BSSO surgery to advance my lower jaw and possible genioplasty for my recessed chin. I am definitely nervous about this but have been researching and reading others' blogs which I found helpful in making my decision to go ahead with all of the recommended treatments.

I had my two lower bicuspids extracted last week (still have to wait to see which uppers if any need to be extracted) and my braces went on today!! Ceramic uppers and metal lowers. So far they're aching a bit and feel foreign in my mouth, to be expected I guess...Eating my mushy mac n' cheese for dinner was an adventure in itself!

I'll post some pictures of my teeth soon. Hopefully this blog can be helpful to others and document my journey through my treatment. I'm really excited for the end results and having a great smile after 18-24 months.

3 comments:

  1. hello, when i stared reading, i was like, u tell my story:)
    i never smile in public, all my pictures are with closed mouth, i am 29 also, soon to be 30, and i have my braces on since 2 months ago.
    good luck and hope to see a big smile
    ana

    ReplyDelete
  2. sorry, started not stared

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so happy to have found your blog. Congrats on starting the journey. I am just starting this process myself. Don't have my braces on yet, but recently got my insurance approval for surgery.
    Good luck,
    Amanda

    ReplyDelete