Thursday, 14 July 2011

Need to make a BIG decision...opinions please!

Here's a quick update and then I'll share my dilemma with you...So I went in for my 2nd adjustment yesterday and things are progressing very well. I got new power chains on the bottom to close gaps (love the silver color), a new spring to make room for the unwired lower tooth and reshaped point off one upper canine.


Left

Right


Now, about my BIG DECISION...please share your opinion and be completely honest...

So I have been trying to decide about having my upper canines reshaped like laterals (since one lateral for sure has to be extracted). I mentioned to Dr. W that I am not happy with how gummy the spot over my lateral looks when I smile, I'm a type A and would really prefer symmetry...Here are some photos to give you a better idea:

Smile pre-braces

Recent casual photo, the gummy area is obvious

Front view

Upper arch


Sooooo my options are:

Option 1. Have the 2nd lateral extracted, best way to get symmetry and correct midline of central incisors. Best aesthetic end result as per the OD. sounds great right?.....BUT I'm so scared to have this tooth extracted as the gap will be HUGE for quite awhile and very visible. He didn't say exactly how long but I would guess a few months based on my other extraction gaps. Don't really want to look like a hillbilly, lol...I'm in a professional line of work too (health care) so I feel how I look matters. I realize this would only be temporary but once the tooth is gone I can't change my mind! The OD seemed very pleased I was considering this option. I asked about a fake temporary tooth (I think it`s called a pontic) but he said this wasn't an option :(

Option 2. Keep the 2nd lateral, have a procedure to cut away gum tissue (to make tooth appear taller) but won't quite resolve the gummy issue due to tooth height discrepancy. Uppers will remain asymmetrical and midline cannot be completely corrected.

I have until next Thursday to decide as he didn't want me to make a snap decision. But he needs to know so he can stop making room for the lateral if the teeth will need to be moved in the other direction...If it were you, what do you think you would do???

No comments:

Post a Comment