Hope everyone had a Merry Christmas and wonderful holiday season with family and friends!!!
Surgery is now 3 months away for me. Can't believe how quickly it's coming up, getting nervous and excited! Will be glad when it is here and done to get on with things.
Here are some of the questions I have for my follow up appointment with the surgeon at the end of January. Some have been borrowed from other blogs (thanks!). At my initial consult last year he thought just lower surgery would be necessary and genioplasty could also be done if desired. I have had more extractions since my initial appointment which I think has improved my tooth to gum ratio (less gummy. Anyways, here are my question so far:
What do you recommend? Do you think my teeth (gaps) will be ready by March 28th?
How much overjet do I have now(measurement)?
Asymmetry?
What is the most the mandible can be advanced (and that you have done)?
How much movement (and what kind) do you expect?
Will BSSO be sufficient to correct bite?
Does amount of movement increase risk of permanent numbness? Age?
Discuss hardware used to stabilize.
Is there anything about my jaw discrepancy that can't be corrected, or can only partially be corrected? Previously mentioned open bite...front/back?
Can these things be corrected orthodontically?
Can I expect a perfect bite post-op/post-braces?
Any incisions to face or intraoral only?
About how long will the surgery take?
Will it be you or a resident performing the surgery?
Will I be banded or wired shut? (previously said not wired) For how long?
Splint? Surgical hooks?
Swellling...Ice good or bad? Manual lymphatic drainage (massage)?
What changes can I expect in my face? Do you have software that can show me potential profile and front view pictures?
How will surgery effect lip competence?
How will surgery effect mouth breathing?
Does genioplasty increase chance of permanent numbness with increased traction on the nerve? Opinion re: need for genioplasty?
Can I expect to be free of jaw related headaches after? Jaw clenching?
What are my chances of relapse? What causes relapse?
Supply list?
Diet info? Vitamins (Calcium, D, B)? Protein powders?
Postoperative meds? Antibiotics?
Chronic nasal inflammation...post-nasal drip, swelling, breathing, prior injury to nose
Preoperative physical? When?
Should I stay in the city overnight? Inpatient? Day surgery and I live two hours away in another city.
Sleep positions postop?
When is first follow up office visit? Timing of other visits to plan for travel/work.
Time off work?
Bleeding
Any long term risks? Hardware...
Cosmetic suggestions re: bonding canines post-braces, who to see?
Yikes, that's a lot of questions but I'm sure he's used to it.
If anyone has ideas for other questions to ask feel free to comment. Thanks!
No comments:
Post a Comment